5th Grade Bike Trip to John Ball Zoo

well, Amie has been having all the fun so far, but I decided I should probably post this one since I was the person who experienced it firsthand. YES, I actually did take a day off work (wow!) and accompanied Nik on a bike trip with his class. Every year, the 5th grade at East elementary bikes from the school, down the Kent Trails, over the river and under the freeway, over the Indian Mounds, and thru the woods, to the John Ball Park Zoo. It is a 5.5 mile trip each way, and the Grandville Police send a few riders as well as some squad cars to block traffic and make sure everyone stays safe. This year we had appox 36 kids, 12 parents, 3 teachers, and 3 policemen on bikes, and at least another 10-15 additional support staff in "sag wagons" in case anyone broke down. On the night before the ride, I was apprehensive because the forecast was 40 degrees and RAIN. Like 70% chance. As I went to bed, I saw a few drops falling and said a quick prayer for it to get over with. And while it sprinkled the next morning, by the time we all got geared up and on the road, we had SUNSHINE! Of course, being a Masselink, 10 mile plus bike rides are not something that's on my normal "to-do" list, but I have to say that it was a blast and I would do it again in a second. It only took us about 25 minutes to get there, but it was a fun filled 25 minutes. Once at the zoo, our group of 6 kids went to "zoo school" first. There the kids learned about mammals vs reptiles, vertebrates vs invertebrates, and exoskeletons vs endoskeletons. I'm pretty sure I knew all that stuff once upon a time, but it was quite the refresher course for me too. Then the lady at the zoo brought out examples of all of the above, and the kids got a chance to touch each animal (except the parrot because he bites). After that, we roamed the zoo for an hour or so before going back to the pavilion for some lunch, and then a slightly rushed trip back to school, since it appeared our weather luck was running out. We raced the clouds back and only had 2 casualties from cramps, and one more who wiped out. Bishop, one of our group, was going at top speed and missed a turn, and bit it hard. But he was a gamer, and once they staunched the bloodflow on his hand, he managed to bike it back. I was impressed. Anyway, Nik and I had an outstanding day and I can't wait to do it again.


Dad and Nik just before leaving to head back

Officer Greco gets ready to lead the kids out

Our group of six plus my assistant jailkeeper: Remy, Jesse, Bishop, Nik, Ryan, Jose and Bishop's dad.