Little Man, Big Dreams




This is a great pic, but the story behind it might be even better. Friday Oct 17, Nik, Caleb and I went to Grandville’s "Rocket football night” at the high school game. The pregame ceremony included all of the Rocket football teams, so Nik was out on the field with his friends, slapping shoulders with the big HS kids (and I mean big, wow I don’t remember them being that big when I was in HS!).

He was kind enough to give his old jersey to Caleb, but Caleb was very angry that he could not go out on the field. So he went up to get a better view from the 2nd level of the stadium, and he refused to let me take his picture. But as he surveyed the action below, I was able to catch this one. I can only imagine what was going on in that little brain of his, but I surmise that he was picturing himself out there, hence the subject line.

Anyway, it has become one of my favorites, and even though it was taken with a crummy RAZR camera-phone it turned out pretty decent.

As for the rest of the night, Caleb did finally get to hang with the “big kids”. Rocket night was a blast, hundreds of jerseyed kids running amok in a fairly empty stadium. And the big Dawgs did not disappoint either, pulling out a thrilling victory that went all the way to the end. Great stuff. And after the game, the 2 Masselink boys sandwiched themselves in the middle of football players, students, and cheerleaders all singing a victorious version of the Grandville fight song (Nana may know this one but I sure didn’t). It’s a scene I won’t soon forget, nor will they. Unfortunately I couldn’t get any pics of them, as they were buried in the mass of humanity. But it was fun!

Enjoy!